The world is shifting its focus to being more ‘connected’ by leveraging internet connectivity. And isn’t that a great thing? With the ease of digital life comes a new wild-wild-west where we have to keep our guard up as new threats pop up every day. Mobile devices are one such area that is rapidly increasing in popularity and usage today.
With the increase in smartphone and tablet usage, people are spending more time on their mobile devices than ever. This is true across demographic lines. In a recent Pew Research study, 68% of Millennials and 67% of Gen X’ers use their smartphones to receive breaking news alerts. Trading crypto on mobile, or making crypto payments through phones are exploding with growth.
Alongside this trend, BitOasis has been mobile-ready and available to provide all our customers with a secure mobile trading experience. So, if you’re considering adding more freedom to your crypto transactions by using mobile devices, consider reading this first.
- Secure your mobile device with a strong password/PIN and biometrics. We recommend Face ID for iOS. In the case of Android phones, try using a fingerprint with a strong password/PIN, as facial recognition hasn’t been proven secure for Android phones.
- Pay attention to whom you trust your personal information with and keep it as secure as possible.
- Take utmost care to not lose your device and always be vigilant about locking your phone when at a restaurant or any other public place. If stolen, please reset your password on all financial applications and disable all sessions where this feature is available.
- Do not store sensitive documents in mobile storage. Mobile storage is generally shared among applications and can be read by an adversary in case of an attack.
- Avoid using public WiFi or hotspots if you are planning to carry on financial transactions. Do not accept random Bluetooth pairing requests. This could be an attack.
- Keep your mobile device operating system and application up to date. This will prevent attacks due to unresolved security issues.
- Avoid rooting or jailbreaking your mobile devices as it leads to an easier path to device security failure.
- Follow safe disposal practices. Do not hand over your device to another person without securely wiping your data.
Tips to safely manage mobile apps
- Do not install any application outside of the official App Store and Play Store. Review your apps and uninstall the ones not used for a significant period.
- Review application permissions, and remove any unnecessary permissions.
- Ensure notifications are not disclosed in full on the lock screen.
- It is a good practice to log out of financial applications after using them and back up your phone and all of its contents frequently.
These are just a few mobile security best practices that can go a long way in protecting your funds and personal information while using mobile devices. In the end, it’s up to you to take precautions when it comes to securing your data or trading crypto via mobile phone. Rest assured, here at BitOasis we’re committed to providing the best mobile device security on our applications and are always looking forward to helping you have a safe and rewarding experience.